Saturday, December 24, 2011

Should a car newbie sticking with Genuine honda car parts or go for aftermarket parts?

I have an 2001 Honda Accord LX 4-cyl, and sooner or later I will be confronted to purchase car parts for my car. My question is should I stick with all genuine honda parts or go for the aftermarket parts? If so, what are the pros and cons of it?|||pros = genuine honda parts, most come with a warranty


cons - super expensive, labor for them at the honda dealership even more expensive





you should be more specific on what parts you need, everything you need for your engine doesnt have to be a honda part..|||On a relatively new vehicles (not ford!) - let's say up to 10 yo - I would use Honda parts. After all, you don't need them too often, and a few extra bucks may save you truckload of grief. When the vehicle gets to the point of potentially dying for good - 200,000+ (50K for ford) miles - I usually switch to aftermarket. But again, it all depends on a particular part - I would NEVER buy an aftermarket oil filter because no matter how you look at it, engine replacement is more costly than $2 difference. Same goes for spark plugs, brake pads, and suchlike. Quite frankly, I never had to deal with more significant components needing replacement on all my numerous hondas over the last 20 years.|||I have never had any problems using aftermarket parts. For honda's, auto tranny fluid, radiotor fluid should be genuine honda stuff. Everything else, spark plugs, wires. brake pads, rotors etc. can be aftermarket.|||Honda has some solid aftermarkets part support. The genuine parts are expensive but very reliable. It depends on the situation and part for the car. If you had a specific part I could tell you if there was an excellent aftermarket source or not.|||After market are cheaper, and just as good.|||After market would be fine as most of the stuff is made in china with USA stickers

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post. I am looking for blogs related Canopies Awning Manufacturers.
    Its looks good but it needs more clarifications. Thank you for your post.





    ReplyDelete